Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The first week

As many friends and family have wanted to know how Paul and I are doing as newlyweds in a new country with new occupations (no I don't have a job quite yet), I figured it would be nice to start a blog. I'll try to update it regularly!

Paul and I have been in Oxford for a week now, and our apartment is slowly coming together. We haven't had much chance to explore the city as tourists yet, as our time has been spent mostly shopping for necessities. This week is Paul's orientation to his MBA program, and next week classes start. We haven't taken pictures yet, but as soon as we do, we'll post them.

We've been meeting lots of nice people, mostly couples, which is just great for me. I wasn't sure how many wives would be along for the ride, but there are really quite a few and I think we'll all make some great friends here. Already I've met many of my neighbors, and they've all been very friendly. They come from all over the world, many from India and the USA, but also some from Asia, Africa, Australia and throughout Europe (though I haven't met any school-affiliated English people yet!). It's a great melting pot, especially since it's full of intelligent, ambitious people, whether they're students or not.

Today I joined the Newcomers Club, which is set up for the spouses/family of students to keep active in the Oxford community. I'm looking forward to some upcoming events, like an afternoon tea and a garden tour that I've signed up for. I've been really impressed at the number and quality of activities available for spouses of university members. I was afraid I might be bored here without a job and with Paul busy with school things, but it seems that won't be the case!

2 comments:

julina said...

what a terrific idea - can't wait to see pictures!

Unknown said...

Hi Kristi and Paul!
It's good to see your apartment and I hope that you're both settling in nicely. Thanks for setting-up this blog--now I'll be able to stay abreast of your London happenings. Take care!

Holly