I'm going to try to note all the funny cultural differences I notice as we get accustomed to life in the UK. Most things are the same, like the language (mostly), but there are definitely some differences, both good and bad, and some are just plain funny.
So one cultural difference between Americans and the English is that in England, people don't use comforters on their beds, but rather use duvets. That means that you have to buy the duvet itself, as well as a cover for it. I thought I would share an example of what happens when American students (guys particularly) come to the UK, as illustrated by the following conversation I overheard at a shop today:
American guy: Excuse me, I've got a question about duvets.
English woman: What's that?
American guy: (sheepishly) Well, in America we don't have duvets. This is my first time ever dealing with one.
English woman: OK
American guy: So do you really need a cover for it? I mean, once you buy the duvet, isn't that all you need? Couldn't you use it just like that? What do you need a cover for?
English woman: (stifling a laugh) Well, I suppose you could use it without the cover. You'd just have to, um, wash the duvet more often.
American guy: So you can use it without the cover then?
English woman: Yes, you could use it like that, but it's much easier to wash the cover than to wash the whole duvet.
American guy: Ah, OK. So you don't need a cover.


No comments:
Post a Comment