Friday, May 1, 2009

Information Hogs

I don't really consider myself a tech geek, and I'm definitely not up on all the latest gadgets, computer technology and "social media" avenues out there. I don't even own an IPOD or use I-tunes, and I don't intend to in the future, mostly because I like the radio and I don't see the use of spending money to do the work of making my own playlist - I prefer to be surprised. I don't use Twitter, and I recently deleted my Friendster profile because it was one too many "profiles" to maintain. What I do use is Facebook, and I've been using it since 2003 to keep in touch with friends and share pictures and contact info. Some of the games on there, like Scrabble, have been fun too.

But here's where I am starting not to like Facebook - it's becoming, to sum it up, too commercial. For example, they've got all these neat features, like a map where you can "pin" the places you've been to. Well, by signing up to use this "tool", you give whoever made the map program permission to use your personal information from your profile, and the personal information of any of your friends for marketing purposes. I don't like that.

Now, I don't want to seem like an old stick in the mud, but I'm not a big fan of the "improvements" being made on Facebook - like advertisements that use information from your profile. I guess the marketers like to call these "targeted messages". For example, if I look at my husband's profile, I see ads with headlines like "trying to have a baby?" Yeah, it's that creepy.

But what's really starting to get to me is the idea of a "Feed". It's a big deal in marketing right now, as companies try to "feed" you, "the consumer", their goods in "innovative" ways using the "web 2.0" and "social media". OK, I understand, everyone's trying to make a buck in this economy, but it seems to be getting out of control. Not only are targeted ads using my personal information to entice me to consume goods, but now when I click to look at my list of friends to see who has new info (I suppose this counts as a "feed"), Facebook instead takes me to a page that says "We'd like to help you find your friends". Oh really? Gee, I thought I already found them, and that's why I'm trying to look at my friend list!

What it really comes down to is Facebook wants to grow their marketing database and sell more ads. Sure, sounds great if you're trying to sell something, but it starts making Facebook less useful for me and many others, I'm sure. I guess people are starting to use Facebook to market themselves and their services, but I'm not.

So here's what I have to say about the direction that "social media" seems to be moving - I am not your fat pig to consume your "feed" at an electronic marketing trough.

It's too bad, I used to really like the site for its simplicity and ease of keeping in touch with my friends. And to be honest, I don't mind having some ads in exchange for keeping the site free. But this kind of information-pulling from the people most important in my life is not something I condone.

1 comment:

Steve Gotz said...

Hey Kristina,

If you're overwhelmed with too many feeds...you should aggregate them with FriendFeed.com!

Personally if companies are going to serve me ads, I would rather have ads that are contextual...the more relevant the better in my book! Companies like Google & Facebook are rebalancing the signal-to-noise ratio around advertising...decreasing the noise while increasing the signal!

In the not too distant future Google will know more about me than I know about Google...is that so bad? Guess it depends on how much value they provide me in return. Will abuses happen...sure...but they also happen in the traditional direct marketing world. Looking at some of the future stuff in the pipeline...we are only scratching the surface of media personalisation.