A funny thing in Social Science theory, or at least I think it's funny, is that people who are normally speaking English suddenly develop a German accent when referencing Max Weber. Apprently, saying Maaahx Vay-baar must sound much more sophiticated or intellectual than saying his name like you'd read it out of a US phone book - Macks Web-ber. I don't know, I just think it's kind of pretentious, but then again I'm the odd one out on this. For now, I'm holding out as long as I can with my American accent. Maybe I'll sound just as abrasive as the Germanophiles sound to me, but I can deal with that better than pretending to have an accent.
Might I also add that Hoosiers doesn't mess with foreign pronunciation, as in Peru, Indiana, pronounced "pay-roo". Our neighbors in Illinois do likewise with Des Plaines (dehs playnes). Even Kentucky gets it, pronouncing Versailles, KY as "ver-sails". I'm definitely not the only one to Americanize pronunciation.
So let's see how long I get away with my little rebellion.


1 comment:
My vocal articulation professor wants me to speak breathy. You dont want to attack vowels to hard in the beginning of words. Apple should be said with an "h" in the front or "happle". Think of Mario Hilario or Rj Heim on RI News. They have a breathy proper vocal quality. This "happle" sounds feminine to me. But I guess it is proper english.
Post a Comment