Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Interdepartmental Courses

WARNING: Nerd Alert!

One of the most exciting things in graduate school is the opportunity for interdepartmental courses. Right now I'm taking a class in Health Policy, and while it's not listed as an interdepartmental course, we have students from a number of different programs, including Public Administration, Sociology, Social Work, and Political Science. Some of the students have never left school, while others have been working for a decade before deciding to go back for an advanced degree. It's just great to have those perspectives when you're discussing things like how state-run Medicaid programs should function versus how they actually function.

Now if only I could get focused on the book I have to read for that class, called "Healthy Wealthy & Fair: Health Care and the Good Society". I'm having to look up tons of things, like what "inside the Beltway" means (thank you Wikipedia.org), but that's probably a good thing since I don't usually read economics or political books on my own. Plus, it can only make me better at telling economists why they're wrong about people (haha).

1 comment:

julina said...

I loved the interdisciplinary aspect of grad school too. So much more interesting than undergrad!