Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Rewley Boogaloo, we'll miss you

Well, the surgery revealed problems way worse than anyone expected and Rewley's not coming home. It turns out Rewley's small intestine had telescoped into the large intestine and scarred up, basically meaning both small and large intestine were not working. The vet had never seen anything like it apart from reading about it years ago in vet school as a very rare case. He seemed to think that this was probably something he was born with, or that happened soon after he was born given the extent of the damage. What's remarkable is that he could still digest any food at that point, and this just made the surgical discovery even more surprising. The vet said he could try removing the damaged tissue, but it was so extensive he probably wouldn't even wake up, and if he did, his chance of survival (and it would be a miserable existence) was slim.

He was a tough little puppy who must have been feeling just awful but still ran up to every stranger to lick them. It's going to feel a lot more empty in our new house without him.

3 comments:

Danalisa said...

OH Kristina and Paul...I'm really sooo sorry! This is one of the saddest things I've ever heard! I know how much you loved him and I'm glad you were able to have all the joy that he brought you...he was lucky to have you as well. He's in a doggy heaven now running free with no loud trucks! =) Lots of hugs to you both!!

julina said...

Oh no, I am so sorry! Losing a pet is so sad, even though it sounds like you definitely made the right decision for him. It sure did sound like he loved being with you guys, and you with him.

Jodi said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious pup, Rewley. I can only imagine how sad you guys are. Rewley's free from pain and in a happy place. Sending lots of love. xoxo