With all the talk about Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday last week, I started craving the traditional Swedish Fat Tuesday buns, called Semlor (singular 'en semla'). Since there aren't too many Swedes in Indiana, or at least none who have opened a bakery, I realized that if I wanted some, I would either have to drive 4 hours each way to Andersonville in Chicago or make them myself. With the price of gas these days, making them at home seemed the better option.
First I had to make the buns. These have 2 sticks of butter and 5 cups of flour for only 16 buns!

Next, I sliced off the tops and hollowed out the middle. The black flecks are not pepper, but cardamom seeds that I ground up.

Then,I mixed up the breadcrumbs I had removed from the buns with some almond paste and milk until it was like a thick pudding.

Filled the buns...

and topped with freshly whipped cream!

As the Swedes say, mums!
1 comment:
I wish I lived near you!!
Post a Comment