Thursday, March 17, 2011

Adopting bacteria

Paul and I have just adopted some bacteria. Yup, we paid some place called Yemoos for bacteria. Why? Well, as many of you know, we've been making our own yogurt for the past year or so, and we love it. Recently, as we were in the local Bloomingfoods organic market (shopping for a picnic in the park that got rained out) I found a package of dried "kefir" starter. I'd never had kefir before, but it's a drinkable sort of yogurt that's supposed to be really good for your digestion (there are also some Internet rumors that it lowers cholesterol and prevents cancer, but I wouldn't bet on that). We've made it a few times now, and we like it so much that Paul went and ordered some live kefir starter culture.

Here's what we got:

We still need to choose a name for it (the little card says you're supposed to give it a name). Any suggestions?

Here it is in the jar after I strained it with some milk

And, here's how it'll look for the next 24 hours while it grows in the cabinet. After that, we'll strain it and re-grow the grains in fresh milk for another 24 hours before we actually try it.

Can't wait to try the real deal! And if you're local, let us know if you'd like some starter once we get it going!

1 comment:

Danalisa said...

didn't know u could do that! you guys are quite the chefs!