Sunday, August 29, 2010

Island Hopping in Southern New England - Part I

I'll put this right out there - I'm not really a beach person. I don't tan; I just burn and the sun gives me headaches. But, for Paul the beach is a real novelty having always lived in landlocked places. So while we were close to the ocean, we went to a couple of interesting local places to admire the beach habitat.

First was Plum Island. It's located about 45 minutes north of Boston, and is a great example of a managed maritime ecosystem. It's made up of sand dunes (much like the dunes in northern Indiana) that serve as a storm buffer for the mainland - a big reason why much of it is conservation land. There are miles and miles of beach, plus hiking trails that go through the dunes. We were surprised it wasn't too crowded since it was a Saturday in the summer and they had free admission that weekend (normally $5 per car).

Here's Paul checking out the Atlantic. Yes, it's still cold in August!


Here we are walking the beach



What's interesting about Plum Island from a conservational (and maybe financial) standpoint is that it's partially man-made and partially natural, with some conservation mistakes put in (decades ago, they planted some pine trees there thinking it'd hold the dunes in place, only to realize it's not really a good idea to put non-native species in if you are trying to conserve the natural state). The marshland is a man-made section to serve as spawning grounds for birds and the like. They have a boardwalk going through it


And the dunes themselves. Those little bushes are the plum bushes from which the island gets its name. Paul tasted one, and said it was like a plum flavored cherry with a big pit. Here I am reading the guidebook from the visitor's center that leads you through the different ecological zones.



After the hike, we met up with our friends, Andrea & Mike for dinner at a Polish restaurant, Cafe Polonia, in South Boston. Since both our husbands are Polish, Andrea and I have come to appreciate the Polish cuisine! We're lucky that the only Polish restaurant in Boston (maybe in New England) does have good food.


After dinner, we went to JP Licks on Newbury Street (right near my old apartment) for ice cream - so good! Though, as much as there is good food in Boston, the traffic does not tempt me to move back!

No comments: