Saturday, January 16, 2010

New Semester

Last week was my first week of classes for the spring semester. We learned that one student decided not to return for the spring, so my cohort (I hate that word, but I don't know what else to call the people who started the same program as me in the same year) is now a little smaller. We had a cohort game night on Friday, and it was really great to see everyone; it's a great group I'm with, even if we do have very different political views (I try to avoid those conversations!).

Right now I'm taking three courses. One is a mandatory statistics course that I tried to get out of because I already took graduate-level statistics in the Sociology department at the University of Chicago, but apparently the course at Indiana covers more information so I have to take it again. Second is another required course that I can't get out of - Sociological Research Practicum (whew!). Basically it's a class to help get our master's papers started (yes, I have to write a second master's paper). Actually, it's not all that bad repeating things beacuse you always learn something new when you read something again, and it will help make my research skills even stronger.

The third class I'm taking is called Mental Health/Illness. It specifically has both health and illness in the title to make the point that these are two very different ways of looking at the issue. It will be really helpful for me to see how sociology looks at this issue since I've only really looked at it as a psychologist. I'm also working as an assistant instructor for an undergraduate sociology course on mental illness, so I'll be getting a double-dose of information!

All in all, I think this semester will be pretty manageable. In the meantime, I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I wait to find out whether I'll be getting any grants that I've applied for! I won't hear anything until March or April, so it's a long wait for what could be a lot of money! Wish me luck!

No comments: