Sunday, July 10, 2011

Saltine toffee - YUM!

Today we have plans for a concert and picnic in Bryan Park with some friends of ours, and I decided to make a small dessert to bring along - Saltine toffee.

Back in winter of 2009, I went to a Christmas cookie exchange at a neighbor's house, and we all exchanged cookies and recipes so that we could make each other's tasty treats. Well, I finally got around to making one of them and it was SOO good and SOO easy that I figured I should share it here. I have no idea who gave me the recipe (there's no name on it) so the credit cannot be given. But man, are they tasty! You're basically making your own heath bars with this one.




Here's the recipe for Saltine toffee:

1-2 sleeves Saltine crackers
1 c Brown sugar
1 c Butter (2 sticks)
12 oz Chocolate Chips
3/4 c nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 10x15 cookie sheet (with sides) with parchment paper. Cover with one layer of crackers. Melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat until boiling, stirring constantly, and full boil for 3 minutes (mixture will be the color of peanut butter and pull away from sides of pot). Quickly pour mixture over crackers and spread evenly (be careful...very hot!). Bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and turn off oven.

Sprinkle chocolate chips over heated crackers and caramel mixture. Let sit for 5 minutes (you can put it back in the oven to melt the chocolate faster). Spread the melted chips with a spatula. Sprinkle nuts and press down lightly. Freeze for 30 minutes. Break into pieces and store either in fridge or at room temperature.


I will also add this is a great way to use up chocolate chips that you bought at a store, then left in the car on a hot summer day while you went to another store, and then found they were all melted when you got home. Not that I'd know from personal experience or anything.

1 comment:

Danalisa said...

will have to try this one! yum!