Monday, January 24, 2011

What I'm reading right now

I generally don't blog about school too often because it's really not much different from one semester to the next. Reading, writing, doing dull teaching assistant stuff like putting attendance sheets into spreadsheets and trying to find ways I can supplement my income. So to give a peek into what I am up to, here's my reading list for this week:

Simmel, Georg (1964). "The Web of Group Affiliations" in Conflict and the Web of Group Affiliations. p 125-195

Durkheim, Emile (1897) 1997. Suicide: A Study in Sociology. 416 pages.

Cohen, March and Olsen (1972). A Garbage Can Model of Organizational Choice. Administrative Science Quarterly 17(1)1:25.

Kingdon, John. 1997. Agendas, Alternatives, and Public Policies. Chapters 4-8.

Rogers, Everett. (2003) Diffusion of Innovation. 512 pages.

And for my TA-ship
“Quetelet on the Study of Man,” in Population and Development Review

DuBois, W.E.B. 1898. “The Study of Negro Problems,” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science


Drake, St. Clair.
1987. Black Folk Here and There. Chap. 1

Graves, Jr., Joseph L. 2001. The Emperors New Clothes: Biological Theories of Race at the Millennium. Chapters 1-2.

Next week will be a new list of similar length....

I'm also working a big fellowship application that would double my stipend if I get it and would allow me to do some really cutting-edge healthcare research. Wish me luck - fingers crossed!

And I'm involved in a program at the business school's Center for the Business of Life Sciences to develop a commercialization plan for a new drug. Definitely interesting stuff, and a great opportunity to do some group work (so rare in the social sciences!).

No comments: