
Abingdon is a town just south of Oxford, about a 15 minute bus ride away. I decided to go there a couple of weekends ago because I found out they have a Polish store where you can get Polish food. Well, the store wasn't that great, but the rest of the town was awesome! This is what I had in mind when I found out we would be living in England.

The town square is pictured above. Oxford doesn't really have a town square, so it was neat to see what one looks like in an English town. They have a lot of great shopping around, most notably a Woolworths (kind of like a small version of Wal-Mart) and a Waitrose grocery store (similar to a Whole Foods). Both do not exist in Oxford, and both made me very happy, as it's nice to be able to get cheap household items and it's wonderful to get good quality groceries. As Oxford is a college town (average age seems to be about 19), it was so refreshing to see people of all ages and all walks of life out shopping on a Saturday.

Outside of the town square is Abingdon Abbey gardens, which are quite nice for a stroll.

The old ruins in the garden are pretty neat. I don't yet know the history, but I did get a self-portrait in them. :)

Needless to say, I will be back to Abingdon, if for nothing more than the fabulous groceries!


No comments:
Post a Comment