Thursday, January 3, 2008

Employed!

Today I started my first day at my new job! My official title is Senior Market Research Executive, and I'm working at a company that does survey market research for pharmaceutical and other health care companies. It's sort of a start-up company that's really started to take off. My boss is great; I can tell he really wants me to succeed in this position. Everyone else at the company has been extremely welcoming, and offered to help with anything I need.

While the company claims they have "no benefits", I'm getting 25 paid vacation days, 2 weeks of paid sick days, discounted gym membership, nearly free shuttle from the train station, my own laptop (which means I can work from home if needed), a generous bonus scheme, and all the coffee I want to drink all day - and TWO dishwashers in the employee kitchen! Maybe to the English who have national health care and great public transportation that sounds like "no benefits", but to someone who's worked a job with 5 vacation days in the first year, or one where sick days were deducted form vacation time, these benefits are incredible. Nevermind that I really believe in the company and think it's going to continue to offer me all kinds of career growth opportunities.

And did I mention I get paid in pounds sterling? (haha)

4 comments:

julina said...

Congratulations!

BK said...

Congrats. Hope all is well in England. Good luck with the new job.

Anonymous said...

hey! your job sounds awesome, good luck in your second week!

Jodi said...

Congrats, Kristina! I look forward to catching up this Sunday :-)