Friday, November 23, 2007

Sad news

I wouldn't feel right posting my next blog entry without writing something about what happened last week - my grandfather passed away. He was 80 years old, and had survived several heart attacks and strokes over the past 40 years (though you'd never know it to look at him). It happened while my parents were flying back from New Zealand, so my brother was the only family member around (besides my grandmother). We're all thankful Grandma had someone there to help out, and I know his girlfriend was also helpful, as she works in nursing. But, of course, we all wish we could have been there for Grandma when it happened, even though it wouldn't have changed the outcome. Last year Grandpa had a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted, so while we knew he wasn't in peak condition we all wanted to think that this was his "safety net" and that everything would be ok. None of us was really prepared, but I think in some ways this is easier than watching someone slowly get sicker in a hospital. We are thankful that God took him without causing him to suffer.

I know this will be a difficult adjustment for Grandma, as they just celebrated their 59th anniversary. I can't imagine what it feels like to know someone that closely and for that long. They had a wonderful marriage, and I often have told Paul that I hope we have a marriage like theirs. There were well over 250 people at the memorial service, which attests to the great impact he had on so many people. It was really touching to see how many people cared about him. His obituary is listed here.

I am so thankful he was able to attend our wedding this summer. The wedding pictures were the last ones taken of him, and I know he really was thrilled to be there. I couldn't believe it when, that night, he drove me and Paul back to the hotel after the gondola ride at 1AM. He didn't usually stay up that late, but he made an exception for his only granddaughter. These past few years as I was moving around and going back to school, he made sure to let me know I could come to him for anything if I ever needed help. When he gave me gifts that I thought were too expensive, he'd tell me he'd rather give it to me now and get a hug and a kiss than wait until after he was gone. Maybe I was a spoiled granddaughter, but I know that as his only granddaughter and he as my only living grandfather, he didn't try to buy my affection, he was just being genuinely loving and giving.

We will miss him dearly.

Sov i ro, Morfar. Jag รคlska dig.

3 comments:

Danalisa said...

That was a truly beautiful post in memory of your grandpa. I'm glad you had such a wonderful man for a grandpa. Sorry it has been such a hard week.

julina said...

What a wonderful photo of you and your grandparents at the wedding. I wish you and your family many fond and happy memories to remember your grandfather by.

Shannon said...

Kristi, I am so very sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful remembrance. I'm glad he was able to see you and Paul get married and share in that lovely day.